Monday, February 22, 2016

Brazil Beginnings

What an adventure this life is! I can't sing God's praises enough for allowing my fingerprint to be left all over the world. Little, insignificant me. Incredible.

Today alone, I have....
- had a 5 year old translating for me
- eaten the BEST BANANA of my life
- found a pastry delicious enough to name a kid after

It all started Friday as I went to the airport, a little late, after seeing my awesome little (and big!!!) cousins. What an awesome farewell(:

Luckily all the lines were short, and I made it through in no time. I didn't even have to be searched by the TSA this time! Hooray for not using explosive lotion!!

I had a direct, 10 hour flight from Detroit to São Paulo, and it was also my first red eye flight where the seat next to me wasn't conveniently empty. Turns out, it's super uncomfortable to sleep sitting up, especially when a strange person is sitting only inches away! In case you were wondering...

I arrived at GRU an hour early and made it through customs without talking to a single person, something that I imagine to be impossible in the USA. Then we had an impromptu game of hide and seek, as Carol went to a different terminal and it took us a while to figure that out! I also was attempting to explain to a security guard in Portuguese that I was looking for a person at the bank, and I didn't actually have any reason to go there if she wasn't there. Harder than it sounds!

I also met an Iranian family at this time, and they were very interesting to talk to. I only mention this because I never expected to converse with people from the middle east while in South America. I guess the world really is small(:

After Carol found me, we drove back to their house. It's a beautiful country. It took me a little bit to figure out who spoke English and who spoke only Portuguese - even within the airport this was a struggle. It has also taken me a little time to adjust to the culture, as it's a bizarre thing to jump into a family in an unfamiliar place. But everyone I meet is so beyond friendly(: I love them all!!!

The kids are SO MUCH FUN, but they are definitely still in the process of getting used to having a strange person in the house. I'm also discovering that it's difficult to play make-believe in two different languages...

We went to a fruitaria today, and there were so many fruits I've never heard of before. We got a bunch to try, and I'm STOKED! And the fresh juice is amazing.

And it is raining. And raining. So very much.

This of course is only a shadow of all that has occurred here so far, and the adventure will continue!

Boa noite(:

No comments:

Post a Comment