Sunday, May 15, 2016

How Has Bolivia Changed You?

Each time a volunteer is leaving Up Close Bolivia, a barbeque or tea party is thrown in their honor. At this celebration, the exiting volunteer is asked the following question: how has Bolivia changed you?

This question was not difficult for me, as I would be willing to confidently say that the six weeks I spent in Bolivia were the most transformational weeks of my life. 

For example, nothing phases me anymore. A bird pooped on my only towel and I don't have time to wash it before leaving on a 3-day trip? That's alright *brushes it off*. I've been left on a random street corner in an unknown area? That's cool. No toilet seats, nor toilet paper, nor running water, AND the walls are so short in the unisex bathroom that you make awkward eye contact with strangers while wiping? Just laugh. You mean there actually IS toilet paper?? AND soap!?!???? *Faints*. Brushing my teeth on the side of the road with a bottle of water? Just another day in the life.

Real dangers, such as sketchy strangers, people offering me free beverages on the street, people driving next to where I'm walking trying to convince me to get into their car, and persistent unmarked taxis still terrify me to the very core; don't worry, I haven't traded common sense for carelessness. But when it comes to things that I used to find disgusting or embarrassing, well, I simply consider them a part of life's great adventure now.

By the way, all of the terrifying things I mentioned above happened to me at some point during the 6 weeks. No worries: I'm still alive! Only by God's protective hand.

Super early on, I realized that if I wanted to do things, I was going to have to do them by myself. I arrived at Up Close during a dry spell of volunteers: I was the first new volunteer in 3 weeks, and nobody new arrived until 3 weeks later. Therefore, the people who were there had already done a lot of exciting things in the vicinity, so I was left to adventure on my own.

I went into town by myself on multiple occasions. I did hikes by myself, minibuses by myself, got lost by myself, everything. I was alone on that adventure to Tiwanaku. I even upped and took the night bus to Uyuni for 3 days by myself. Prior to this trip, I never ever could have imagined myself going that far into unknown territory, in a foreign country, independently. But now I can't imagine not being able to imagine it; it's just a part of me.

I also changed my career goals and all my future plans while in Bolivia, based on what I learned about myself. It was easy to differentiate real likes and dislikes based on what I would wake up dreading and what I would wake up excited for day after day. 

I also realized this: I love other countries, visiting and experiencing how people live in other parts of the world, but I don't want to live in a different country long-term. The USA is where my long-term home will remain, and that shift in thinking is absolutely HUGE in my life.

As an afterthought, I'll add that my Spanish skills have quintupled since I went to Bolivia. I can now have a conversation with anybody and it's not even a big deal anymore. I went to a Spanish-speaking church the other day and could understand the whole message!! I was so excited, as when I went to the Spanish service at La Fuente in Mexico 2 years ago, I couldn't understand the message at all. I've been without classes and have not been doing much of anything to improve my Spanish in the years since, so it's extraordinary to me that I've improved so much! I can definitely understand buckets more than I can speak though, and I know I have a strong accent and speak in very broken phrases.

Oh well, it's a start!

All in all, the purpose of this blog post is to show a truthful example of a life that has been drastically changed by a travel experience. I would like to encourage others to embark on journeys as well, not necessarily to a different continent or even a different state, but on some experience that will force the person to exit their comfort zone and learn about themself in a million new ways.

You, whoever you are, are a beautiful, intelligent, incredible person inside and out. Please never stop learning about the person God created you to be!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful post - thanks for sharing! I totally agree about the adventuring. Step out of the norm - it's rejuvenating, possibly transformative. Why miss out? I'm so excited you plan to be in the States! Of course, I know that could change next week. Be open to the Spirit, and the Spirit will guide you.

    ReplyDelete