Saturday, July 11, 2015

Dansk? English?

I made a list. I know 55 Danish words. Now envision a dictionary, envision a single page of a dictionary. 55 words is nothing, right?

Although 55 words is definitely better than nothing...


I guess I wasn't quite expecting there to be so much of a language barrier. 86% of the population of Denmark speaks English, so I figured I'd be fine. Granted, I haven't exactly run across many people who DON'T speak English, but EVERYTHING is in Danish! All the signs, all the newspapers, all the surrounding voices.


I feel like a small child at times. I can't just read the street sign; I have to ask someone what it says. The adults discuss what we are doing next, and I have absolutely no idea what they are saying, so I blindly follow until someone decides to clue me in on the plan.


I personally think this is awesome. Yes, there have been times when I've felt a little lost, a little lonely. But it is an incredible experience! How many times have I wished I was a kid again!? Well here I am!


Also, I finally found a practical use for all those times I pretend to be listening but am actually lost somewhere deep inside my head. At those times, I give a generic response based on the tone of what is being said. Here when I don't have the option to listen, the only thing I CAN do is exactly that. It's a skill that comes in rather handy indeed.


I figured since everyone here could speak English, they would. What I have discovered though is that although they can speak it, it's somewhat difficult, or rather it doesn't come as naturally or easily as Danish. I can definitely speak Pig Latin, but ask me to communicate using only that for a day and I think I would lose my mind. I think it's very similar for Danes with English.


'Miay  oinggay  otay  rytay  otay  peaksay  nlyoay  igpay  atinlay  orfay  neoay  entencesay. Yep, already going crazy with this.


I took a minor survey of a few people to ask how they felt about speaking English to me. Some people were happy about it - they had been wanting someone to practice their English with. Others informed me that their head hurt from translating all their words to English in it.


I just find all of this, this experience and these discoveries, to be extremely interesting. I hope you do too!


Farvel/moin/hej hej!! (Yes, I know 3 ways to say goodbye. That has to count for something!)

No comments:

Post a Comment