Tuesday, March 8, 2016

To be an American Abroad

I'm famous.

And I don't say that in some self-centered way. I mean I have legitimately had people hiding their faces and freaking out as if they just met their favorite celebrity. 

It's pretty bizarre, actually.

Before I started traveling to different countries, I thought every country produced all their own music, movies, and TV shows. I believed this because I had not known of any media that was popular in the USA that wasn't created in the USA, so I figured every other country was the same way. False. The USA is absolutely the media capitol of the world, and almost everybody watches and listens to American media that may or may not be translated (or have voice overs) in their language. Disney channel with the actors' and actresses' mouths moving to English but with strange voices speaking Portuguese? It's odd indeed.

Unfortunately, I'm a pretty terrible person to be representing the USA in a foreign country, because I'm not up on the media at all.

Excited children: WE KNOW AMERICAN MUSIC!!! *starts singing songs I don't know*
Guys, I listen to Spanish reggae.....

Excited children: WE KNOW AMERICAN MOVIES TOO!!!! *starts listing movies I've never heard of*
Guys, I watched Tarzan for the first time ever here with you, in Portuguese, yesterday.....

And then of course everyone is disappointed. I'm sorry!

And then there was the guy who was SO excited to meet me and after several hours he finally came over to talk to me, and his question was this: Do Americans drink tea like the British? Haha I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment